Poland Wrap Up


Hands-on Albion experience!
Jim, Mickey, Rebecca, me, Anthony, Mary

Ryneck of Wroclaw

I wanted to do an overall wrap-up post of the trip and am finally getting around to it. We had a long day of traveling to get back to the US. I was able to do some lovely math homework before we boarded each plane and then did lots of sleeping and reading while on the flight. 

Our group on the last day at the cemetery
 (with the groundskeeper)

Book Chairs outside of a mall in Krakow
This trip was an amazing experience. The topic of the trip was difficult, but each and everything we did was rewarding and had a purpose. We spent days laboring in the cemetery, doing as much as we could in the little time we had to work there. We went on half a dozen tours to really explore the places we were visiting and learned so much about Jewish history in Poland. We were able to attend a community Shabbat service which was really really fun. We went to museums to learn about the history of Jews in Poland, which there was a lot of, and it was very informative. Our trip consisted of lots of busy days that led to late nights, with lots of walking in between.


Ryneck of Krakow
The Holocaust Studies Service Learning Project allowed me to not only make an actual impact on the Jewish community in Wroclaw, but I was able to work alongside a group of Brits, many of whom I hadn't talked to before this trip. It was really amazing how participating in the same meaningful activity allowed us to become close and connected in a way that I don't think is always possible on campus alone. I am so grateful to have been able to go on this trip and make the impact that I did and allowing myself to be vulnerable enough to let it have an impact on me too. I would strongly recommend that anyone at Albion, that is able to apply for this trip. If you let yourself be fully immersed in what you're doing, the trip will be one of the best parts of your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poland Day 7

Poland Day 1

Hello!